What’s it all about?
Our regular group surfing lesson is our most popular option – it lasts for two hours and we will take you through everything from scratch, we will assume you have never even touched a surfboard before.
Lessons are £35 per person and they include your expert surfing tuition and equipment (surfboard, wetsuit and accessories). Whether you are a complete beginner or have surfed a couple of times before, you will benefit from a group surf lesson in Portrush, Northern Ireland. You can join a group lesson by yourself or with friends and family.
As well as teaching the technique and skill of surfing we also place a great emphasis on safety and water awareness. All our surf lessons are tailored towards your individual level of surfing.
- Upon your arrival, someone from our incredible team will give you a warm welcome to Alive Adventures and check you into our booking system.
- Our team will then fit you into one of our toasty winter wetsuits (FYI, the zip goes at the back!) and an Alive Adventure vest to wear on top.
- Once the lesson starts, our lead instructor will give you a friendly introduction to the team and deliver a safety talk and an assessment of the surfing conditions.
- You will then carry your board to the beach (only a 1-minute walk!) and then to a short but lively warm-up on Portrush’s stunning West Bay Beach.
- Once warmed up, your lead instructor will begin the lesson, taking you through things from scratch, lying on the surfboard, catching a wave, and standing up.
- You will then continue the majority of your lesson in the ocean, putting words into action with continual tuition and coaching from our team.
- Most of all have a great laugh!!!
- There will be hot showers and changing facilities. Please note these facilities are council-owned and may not be open due to covid-19 restrictions. • We promise you’ll have a brilliant laugh and lots of memories! But be warned, surfing is highly addictive!
What do I need to bring?
A towel, swimwear, sun cream if it is sunny (please be sunny!) and yourself!
- Come up to the van and let the team know you have arrived! One of our wonderful staff will get you checked in online.
- Next is getting your sorted out with a lovely and warm winter wetsuit
- Once everyone is ready your lead instructor will give a brief overview of the lesson and a safety talk to your group.
- A short walk (one minute!)
- After you have finished the warm-up the real fun begins – learning to surf firstly on the beach, how to lie on the surfboard, catch and wave and stand up!
- The time has come to hit the surf! Our team of instructors will help you catch waves, give you tips and help you get to your feet! As well as cheering every wipe out of which there will be many!
- One thing is sure about learning to surf, you will have such a great laugh and loads of memories…and possibly a new addition to the surf!
- We were the very first surf school in Northern Ireland, the original!
- Taught over 20,000 people how to surf right here in Portrush!
- Awards include winning Trip Advisor’s ‘Certificate of Excellence’ six years in a row as well as making the ‘Hall of Fame’ every year too.
- ‘Best Family Activity Provider in N.Ireland’ at the OutdoorNI awards three years in a row.
Be coached by the best
We have a very simple philosophy when it comes to our team of instructors – we only recruit the friendliest, most helpful, hard-working surfing instructors and lifeguards out there! We understand that the best surfing lessons revolve around having the best team to deliver them – our simple goal is to ‘be safe and have fun and over the last 20 years of teaching people to surf in Portrush, we have got pretty good at both!
Check out Tripadvisor and Google to see why we have over 99% 5* reviews!
Surfing in Portrush – let’s face it, having the proper equipment is important in any sport but when it involves getting in the Atlantic ocean you only want the best!
We only use cosy winter wetsuits to make sure everyone thoroughly enjoys their surfing lesson whilst being warm and comfortable. If you are learning to surf in the colder months you will also get wetsuit boots and gloves.
The biggest mistake beginner surfers make is learning to surf on boards designed for a much more advanced surfer – this only leads to frustration and disappointment. You do not get handed a Formula 1 car on the day you pass your driving test!
Our surfboards, for both hiring surfing equipment and for surfing lessons are large and buoyant, this means they are as stable as possible when catching waves – do not worry though as your next wipeout is always just around the corner!
So, what are you waiting for? Book your Portrush surf lesson with Alive Adventures now.
Alive Adventures is situated at West Strand Car Park in Portrush offering immediate access to one of the best surfing spots on the North Coast as well as free parking.
Duration: 2 Hours (Please arrive 30 minutes before you start time)
Location: West Bay Beach Car Park, Portrush
Cost: £35 pp
All of the activities at Alive Adventures can be booked using a voucher. Why not purchase one for a friend or family member to mark a special occasion. Our vouchers have no expiry date, giving you peace of mind and the flexibility of booking whenever you like. Gift vouchers can be used for surfing, kayaking, paddleboarding, bodyboarding, ebike rental, kids surf camp or a private 1-2-1 lesson and are easily redeemed online. If you have any questions regarding vouchers, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will be sure to get back to you.